ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 14:59:26 -0500

I know this isn't going to go over very well but feel compelled to share
my opinion anyway. Especially as I read everyone else's ideas of
photosynthesis exhibits.....

As Manager of Interpretation and Exhibits at The Morton Arboretum in
Lisle, IL, I was part of the team developing a 4-acre children's garden.
We struggled with depicting photosynthesis and looked a many ways other
gardens and museums presented this very complex process. In the end, after
a couple of years of back and forth arguing and experimenting, we decided
that some processes are better demonstrated using other media...that an
exhibition is probably not the right method for explaining this process.
As the garden was not designed to have full-time explainers on hand to
help visitors understand what they experienced, we decided not to create
an exhibit that tried to show photosynthesis.

I am still convinced that not all processes are appropriate for self-
directed exhibitions. This may be one of those processes.

I hope you find a good solution to this problem.

Diane Gutenkauf