HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 07:59:07 -0500
 Thanks to everyone for their responses. While I had been thinking of it as an ampule for medicine and had ruled out its being used as a spirit level (the bubble is too big - and BTW Ron, we used laser levels, not line levels) I admit to never even considering that it might be part of a christmas light, Scrooge that I am... Another possibility that occured to me, and an off list person is that it might contain machine oil - for fine machinery or instrumentation. The area where this was found served as a Quarantine station, and then as a medical and biological research facility (http://www.cofc.edu/%7egrice/index.html) so this is not implausible. However, the deposit was a jumble. It contained lab glass, dry cell batteries, tobacco cans, perfume bottles, cold cream jars, fine porcelain and kids' toys, so association doesn't narrow the possibilities very much... I'll update the web site when I get the contents analyzed.
thanks again,
Carl Steen