HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Piddock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2007 13:04:59 +0930
This is a call for papers for our session on Landscape Archaeology at
the New Ground Archaeological Conference in Sydney, September 2007.
We can read papers if you would like to contribute but find it
impossible to attend
                                                                Susan

New Approaches in Landscape Archaeology

Session co-chaired by Pamela A. Smith (
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
and Susan Piddock [log in to unmask]

Department of Archaeology, Flinders University

Analyses of cultural landscapes assist in deepening our understanding
of human impacts on the environment and research into the cultural
uses of landscapes provide insights into past human behaviours and
how they shaped the landscapes we live in today. A range of new
approaches for the documentation and interpretation of archaeological
landscapes has been presented in recent archaeological literature.
These landscape paradigms, developed by archaeologists from a
diversity of backgrounds, aim to identify the complex patterns
connecting human behaviour with a particular place and time.

Global Information Systems (GIS) technologies, in particular, are now
regularly used by landscape archaeologists and cultural heritage
managers. They are increasingly used for site location studies,
heritage management planning and GIS procedure related studies, such
as predictive modeling. In addition, as spatial technologies evolve,
the need for new standards is also being recognized by a number of
heritage organizations.

Papers in this session aim to show-case recent approaches in
landscape archaeology and new developments in the use of spatial
technologies by archaeologists.

           website: <http://www.newground.org.au>www.newground.org.au