HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:27:22 -0400
The local Kumeyaay elders sent mediators to work with me on repatriating or
reburial of ritual objects and human remains exposed during archaeology
testing  and salvage during construction of Interstate 8 in San Diego, California
between  1971 and 1973. Under the duress of the moment, information exchanged
that  normally would not have been divulged. Local native tobacco and white sage
were  burned in abalone shells and words said to keep the spirits back as we
moved the  remains to the right-of-way and returned them to the ground. Later,
after all  the Anglos left, pots were dropped on the site and rituals done to
keep the  spirits from returning. All those people who were involved, save
me, have passed  away now. I no longer retain the words in my mind.

Ron