HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chris Sperling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2006 16:41:50 -0400
Dear Histarch,

During a recent data recovery on the site of a small, early-eighteenth
century Virginia Tidewater port town we recovered numerous white clay
tobacco pipes bearing a maker's mark which we have been unable to
identify.  The mark consists of a crown over a harp and is located on
both sides of the heel.  The harp and crown are oriented horizontally
such that harp is closest to the smoker, the crown away from the
smoker.   All examples have been recovered from feature context.
Associated artifacts indicate a ca. 1700 to ca. 1750 context.

A similar example, recovered from a non-diagnostic context, was noted in
"A Descriptive Analysis of the White Clay Tobacco Pipes from the St.
John's Site in St. Mary's City, Maryland" (Hurry and Keeler 1991:60-61)
in /The Archaeology of the Clay Tobacco Pipe/ (P.S. Davey, ed) and the
marks are noted in /Clay Pipes for the Archaeologist /(Oswald
1975:71,75).  Unfortunately, neither source provides much detail as to
the maker or meaning of the marks.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.  Interested individuals can
contact me off list for pictures.

Thank you very much,
Christopher Sperling