HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Larry Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:34:16 -0700
I've followed the threads about relic hunting with interest. Thanks go to Joe Roberts for starting it. Also, welcome, Joe, to the small group of archaeologists who think that relic hunters are just normal everyday people who should be worked with in productive ways. I consider them allies rather than enemies. See my Two Bits for Falling on Our Swords rant from 10 Sep. 2004.

  To me the issue with relic hunting is a disconnection between the values and ethics of archaeologists and values and ethics operating within the broader general public. The microcosm of archaeology often runs counter to the macrocosm of American society. The usual manner that archaeologists approach this problem is by trying to "correct" members of the general public, forcing them into a minority way of thinking. The image of a few archaeologists trying to correct the behavior of thousands of relic hunters is actually quite funny.

  Realistically, you're not going to win situations like this. Archaeologists have authority but little real power to do anything to change the situation. Whining and shouting into the wind are helpful only in that they release emotional energy. I learned a long time ago that I can't control most situations or issues. All I can do is control how I behave and respond.

  Archaeologists need to ask "why does the presence of relic hunters spark such strong emotions from archaeologists?"  Having done this myself I decided that some meta-values and ethics are important to me and almost always supersede my interests in archaeology and CRM. Democracy is always first; I say Live and Let Live, as long as its not criminal. And, I make a mean apple pie.

  As a profession, archaeology is still in the journeyman stage of development. To evolve into the master profession it should become it has to face its greatest fear.

  Why does relic hunting pose such a threat to archaeology? My suspicion is that its presence threatens the very soul of archaeology, its identity. Embrace the fear and you'll have a better profession.

  Larry Moore