HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 16:16:51 -0500
From the History section of the State park Web pages:

The land which now belongs to Pfeiffer Big Sur State park was first
homesteaded by John and Florence Pfeiffer in 1902. Both children of
early Big Sur pioneers, they made their home on the north bank of the
Big Sur River.
t was Florence, however, who had to deal with the many additional
duties numerous house guests created. While John would be out with
their guests hunting or fishing, attending to his bees or overseeing
the cattle, it was Florence who hauled the water, cooked the meals,
washed the dishes, made the beds and did the laundry, besides
attending to her poultry and vegetable garden. Guests knew a good
thing when the found it and word spread. Visitors both increased and
lengthened their stay.

After many years, Florence finally took matters firmly into her own
hands as she recalled in her memoirs. "A man whom Mr. Pfeiffer really
disliked had stopped at the house to stay all night. He had four of
his friends with him and a string of five pack animals. They had their
supper, bed and breakfast. Next morning his friends left on the stage
without even 'thank you.'" When the packer began beating one of his
mules with a stick, Florence grew bold and told him what she thought
of his cruelty. While the man stared at Florence in confusion, she
pressed her point. "From now on," she told him, "I expect to charge
you so much for each horse, so much for each bed, and so much for each
meal every time you stop here."

Thus it was, in 1908, that Pfeiffer's Ranch Resort came into being on
the site of today's Big Sur Lodge. It soon became the family's primary
occupation and attracted a devoted clientele who enjoyed the simple
accommodations and Florence's great cooking.

John died in 1941 at the age of 79 and Florence lived to be 85.

In 1933, the State of California purchased John and Florence's
homestead lands and named the new park in honor of the Pfeiffers. Ever
since then, the Big Sur Lodge has continued in the Pfeiffer tradition
of hospitality.

Smoke