HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:40:24 -0500
Sorry, I was in the middle of a toilet tank repair, and the largest
snowfall on record in New York City (they closed the Bronx Zoo, they
had a terrible aviary collapse from snow a number of years ago, and
thought to be at one time the origin of West Nile virus, I personally
saw some dead crows and a dead Coopers hawk in the vicinity) and
mis-stated which Bonaparte associated with Alpina, NY. It was said to
be Joseph Bonaparte, the "former King of Spain, from one of his
travels through there or something" which he never made it to. Another
rumoured Bonaparte siting was in nearby Cape Vincent, NY where the
naturalist Charles Lucien Bonaparte (1803-1857) perhaps drew some of
his North American birds, that naturalist James Audubon competed with,
which is maybe how the story got started. Happy Darwin Day!

George Myers