HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Catherine Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 09:52:29 -0700
Lori:

I'll do that, keep everyone posted. I am also going to be publishing a historical novel based on the lives of a madam and a saloon keeper in Skagway, Alaska. They got married after a 20 year love affair, when the W. C. T. U. closed the saloons and the red light district in 1917. They moved to Seattle and opened up a speak-easy. It's a no-brainer what the upstairs was used for...

Anyway, I have a lot of data about both their lives, especially the guy's, who sent letters home during the gold rush days. I have a very good handle on his character. The prostitute ended up in the criminal records a lot for a variety of offenses, and she also owned a considerable amount of property in town. Their story and the story of one of the main leaders of the WCTU, a woman whose husband owned a large property in the red light district, makes for a dramatic example of the interaction between reformers and the sporting world during the Progressive Era.

I'm calling this book SIN AND GRACE. It will be published next fall by Lynn Canal Press, Skagway, Alaska (not a vanity press, just a small, local publisher). I'll let everyone know about it when it comes out.

Cathy

Catherine H. Spude
7 Avenida Vista Grande #145
Santa Fe, NM 87508
505-466-1476

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire." Jenny Yates and Garth Brooks.