HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 09:52:29 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
Lori:

I'll do that, keep everyone posted. I am also going to be publishing a historical novel based on the lives of a madam and a saloon keeper in Skagway, Alaska. They got married after a 20 year love affair, when the W. C. T. U. closed the saloons and the red light district in 1917. They moved to Seattle and opened up a speak-easy. It's a no-brainer what the upstairs was used for...

Anyway, I have a lot of data about both their lives, especially the guy's, who sent letters home during the gold rush days. I have a very good handle on his character. The prostitute ended up in the criminal records a lot for a variety of offenses, and she also owned a considerable amount of property in town. Their story and the story of one of the main leaders of the WCTU, a woman whose husband owned a large property in the red light district, makes for a dramatic example of the interaction between reformers and the sporting world during the Progressive Era.

I'm calling this book SIN AND GRACE. It will be published next fall by Lynn Canal Press, Skagway, Alaska (not a vanity press, just a small, local publisher). I'll let everyone know about it when it comes out.

Cathy

Catherine H. Spude
7 Avenida Vista Grande #145
Santa Fe, NM 87508
505-466-1476

[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire." Jenny Yates and Garth Brooks.
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> 
  Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 7:23 AM
  Subject: Fwd: Re: Alaska Journal of Anthropology

Cathy,
  I am very interested in your book as well.  Its a focus of Archeology you usually get just get strange looks with, its like its a taboo topic.  I thought about doing projects focusing on "children of prostitutes" one day.  I like the history of the American west, 18-19 century. I am not sure how much I can actually find out though using archaeological methods.  Your work on the subject would be very insightful. Please keep everyone posted if you succeed in getting it published.

Lori Lange
  Anthropology Masters
  Univ. Wisconsin Milwaukee

Note: forwarded message attached.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are the most popular cars? Find out at Yahoo! Autos<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=38382/_ylc=X3oDMTEzNWFva2Y2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDMmF1dG9z/*http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/popular/thisweek.html> 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2