HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sean Dunham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:36:20 -0500
Paul,

I think you will be surprised at the amount of CRM studies in urban
contexts in the midwest.  I am thinking just Detroit and Minneapolis
alone have generated dozens of reports - if not hundreds.  If you have
access to the volume "Retrieving Michigan's Buried Past:  The
Archaeology of the Great Lakes State," edited by John Halsey (Cranbrook
Institutue Press 1999) - you may want to skim the bibliography,
especially under the names Branstner and Demeter.  Mark Branstner is a
member of this list and hopefully will come forth with additional
information.

Cheers,

Sean Dunham

Sean B. Dunham, RPA
Commonwealth Cultural Resources Group, Inc.
Phone:  517-788-3550 / FAX:  517-788-6594
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
http://www.ccrginc.com

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/27/06 11:38AM >>>
Folks;
I am assembling a paper on urban historical archaeology in the Midwest
and
would like some help finding CRM studies and lightly published,
unpublished, or in-progress papers, theses, or dissertations.  The
issue of
what defines the "Midwest" is relatively flexible in my mind,
conservatively
including the Old Northwest territories (i.e., the full range of what
became
Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin, as well as the
eastern
half of Minnesota), but in some minds it includes the space from
Pittsburgh
to the Dakotas south into Upland Kentucky.  Given the relative paucity
of
material, I'm inclined to define this expansively rather than narrowly.

Likewise, I can see defining urbanity relatively broadly as well.
I have work represented like Jane Baxter in Chicago, Tim Baumann in
St.
Louis, Paul Shackel and Chris Finnell in New Philadelphia, and Mike
Nassaney in Battle Creek, but there must be some more fine CRM studies
in
particular that are momentarily escaping me.  If you might know of
some
work that is in the grey literature or otherwise not widely
published--and
please feel free to self-promote--please pass on a citation and ideally
portion of the piece or some way I can get to it without a trip to
every
SHPO archive in the region.  You can reply to me off-list, and I can
always
post the full list of citations later if folks have any interest.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Mullins
Visiting Associate Professor