HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lynita Langley-Ware <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:32:13 -0600
Marty,
Can't help much with ass shoes, but horse shoes are more rounded, like a
circle.  Mule shoes are more elongated, like a narrow U.  We have examples
of each.  The going opinion here at the museum is that ass shoes are more
likely to look like tiny horseshoes, since asses have little round feet.  No
one has documentation on ass shoes though.  To add another level of
complexity, OX shoes are each a two-piece affair, looking somewhat like two
croissants (roughly).

Good luck on your search.

Lynita Langley-Ware, M.A., R.P.A.
Director, Faulkner County Museum