HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sean Dunham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 11:17:59 -0500
Lee,

I just checked the artifact catalog from a CCC camp in Minnesota and
only saw one liquor bottle noted.  I know alcohol was not permitted on
CCC camps, but as others have mentioned it is not uncommon to find
evidence of alcohol use on camps (logging, military or otherwise) where
it was technically forbidden.  The report I looked at is cited below.

Schoen, Christopher M.
2004 Phase II Archaeological Evaluation of the St. Croix Lumber Company
Dam (21LAOg) and the Dunnigan Lake Civilian Conservation Corps Camp
(21LA526) Along Trunk Highway 1, Lake County, Minnesota.  The Louis
Berger Group, Inc., Marion, Iowa.

We have good evidence for alcohol use on logging camps where it was not
permitted as well as from a dam workers camp.

Dunham, S.
2000  Archaeological Testing at the Five Channels Dam Construction
Camp.  Paper presented at the 2000 Annual Meetings of the Society for
Historical Archaeology, Quebec City, Quebec.

Dunham, S. and J. Franzen
1997  Bottles and Berms:  Test Excavations at Four Pine Era Lumber
Camps in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.  The Michigan Archaeologist 43
(2/3):127-152.

Franzen, J.
1995  Comfort for Man and Beast:  Alcohol and Medicine Use in Northern
Michigan Logging Camps, ca. 1880-1940.  The Wisconsin Archeologist
76(3/4):294-337.

Regards,

Sean

Sean B. Dunham, RPA
Commonwealth Cultural Resources Group, Inc.
Phone:  517-788-3550 / FAX:  517-788-6594
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
http://www.ccrginc.com