HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 21:29:38 -0400
And for an extra $50 a month! They apparently also help with
non-military explosive situations. The officers I spoke with at Fort
Drum, back before the relocation of the US Army 10th Mountain Division
from Camp Hale, Colorado to its new permanent base outside Watertown,
NY (where a new highway will stretch from there to Calais, Maine it
was announced the other day) related of a case where a man swore he
had buried a case of dynamite in an excavation next to his former
wife's house, and they were called to assist, turned out to be a
story.

The Tank Museum, in Southold, NY ("Tanks for the Memories" bumper
sticker) out on the North Fork of Long Island, on the way to Orient
Point and the ferries to New London, Connecticut, I was told, will
take any "illegal" or dangerous weapons or ordnance, "no questions
asked" as they are licensed by the Department of Defense. I remember
some celebrity in trouble for having a cannon, I think Clint Eastwood
might have used it in a bank robbery flick. A local State hospital had
a decommissioned tank they buried when they shut down, used as a
bulldozer, dug its own "grave". A local machine shop I once worked for
got it in return for removing it I think and was restoring some of it
to working order, having the means. It was one of the Sherman's I
think, that are rare, one at Fort Drum, NY I recall. I am glad we have
a EOD, they say they started with training with the UXO (?) in
Britain.

George Myers
(last thing I found was a smoke bomb (again?) at West Point a couple
of years ago in Hurricane Floyd's wake of destruction there for a
survey with Panamerican Consultants, flagged of course and duly
notified the authorities). How about those tiny Tabasco bottles? TPQ
on them?