HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Babson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 00:43:59 -0400
I think the "older" article Bill Henry is looking for is:

Wilson, John S.
  1990	We've Got Thousands of These!  What Makes a Historic Farmstead
Significant?  Historical Archaeology
		24(2):23-33.

This discusses the potential of 19th-20th century farmstead sites for
National register potential, resulting in a recommendation for studies
of high-focus, short-term occupation, single-family farmsteads.  That's
a bit restrictive, but it is an early antidote for the idea that we can
give up on these "thousands" of sites (since the 19th- and
20th-centuries are now over, sites from these centuries will decline,
from thousands, to hundreds, to dozens, to....), because we have some
written records.  Census records for northern New York do tell you how
much maple syrup a farm family produced in a census year (one every five
years, if the records for that year exist), but they do not tell you
what size of an evaporator they used, how much effort they put into such
production, how many trees they tapped, etc.  Interpreting these
records, along with the archaeological evidence from sugarbushes and
maples syrup processing sites should (I certainly hope!) provide at
least partial answers to these questions.  And, the National Register
does not discriminate for or against classes or types of sites that are
over 50 years of age (1955, this year; personally, I will myself
qualify, next year).  As archaeologists, neither should we.

D. Babson.