HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 03:17:29 -0400
Mark,

Sue Wade of Ramona, California conducted an examination of a railroad can
dump at Jacumba, California about ten years ago. She now works for California
State Parks and divides her time between Cuyamaca State Park and Anza-Borrego
Desert State Park. Some of the cans she recovered were donated to the Railroad
 Museum at Campo. Her report was submitted to the County of San Diego and
should  be in the archives there. These should give you enough leads to track
down a  copy of the report.

In 1973, I directed investigations of a prehistoric camp in the Laguna
Mountains at Kitchen Creek. The site lay in the path of Interstate 8 and we had
eight weeks to get what we could out of the site. The dig was next to Old
Highway 80 and the dirt road connecting our camp with that highway passed right  by
a large ferrous metal can dump. Many of the cans were #10. I no longer recall
 the details, but we left the dump in place. I recall thinking it was
associated  with the 1928 construction of 80. I do not recall seeing ceramics or
glass in  the dump, but then dense sagebrush had grown through the pile. I think
it is  still intact, as I visited the site about eight years ago.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.