HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:33:55 -0400
I just saw the site of one that was placed recently, in the Tannery
Pond Community Center, a new building over the pond where once hides
from all over the world (upwards of 30,000 a year) were tanned in the
hamlet of North Creek, NY in the Southern Adirondacks, on the Upper
Hudson River, about 40 miles from its origin in the pond, Tear of the
Cloud. Hemlock was sawn into 4 foot logs and turned into a "liquor"
for tanning there in the 19th century. The 4' logs were sluiced into
town from high elevations. In the Community Center (across the street
from the Town of Johnsburg Town Hall which is celebrating its
bicentennial, 1805) is also a hemlock log with the tree rings counted
back in time, it blown over in a storm. I was just there doing
research for a Gore Mountain development.

George Myers

(They ever find the one in the US Capitol? I think they lost one in
NYC City Hall too? It wasn't in the Almshouse Cemetery in City Hall
Park. Though the Catholic contribution, a stone for the Washington
Monument was ditched in the Potomac River by vandals.)