HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Iain Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:08:17 +1000
At the risk of upsetting Paul's rheumatism, and with due deference to his Latin skills, might I point out that you could store ready use ammunition inside a casement during action although this obviously would be short term storage. The number of rounds would have been strictly limited to avoid secondary explosions (this seems to have been one factor in the battle cruiser explosions at Jutland, there was too much ammunition in the turrets).

Regarding the issue with maritime vrs historical archaeology. As the former head of both units in the government agency referred to, my view is that it is better to have the appropriately trained individuals assessing archaeological potential and for every case of half-arsed assessment by a maritime archaeologist and equal one can be found for historical archaeology. As for assessing aircraft and structures in the water nobody has a mortgage on the skills needed.

In any case in the first phases of an assessment there is really no need to do any underwater work and if underwater inspection is necessary it might prove more efficient and accurate to use remote sensing.

yours

Iain Stuart