HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:46:23 -0400
So what you are saying, Paul, is that somewhere you have seen a definition of
"shillard" that matches "Steelyard"? And/or other scholars have analyzed the
term and come to the same conclusion? I am sure most folks would find that
strong evidence. However, I recall an instance in which someone here in
California mis-translated "casamata" at the Royal Presidio de San Diego to mean
"butcher shop/butchering house," only to find that the association with the Spanish
Army fort meant, in this case, "casemate" or powder and ball storage building.
It is for this reason that I am cautious with jumping to conclusions.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.