HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
paul courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:51:53 +0100
Its a little more than guess work unless you apply that to virtually
every word found in old inventories. There are no standard spellings but
at least unlike medieval documents most of the words aren't abbreviated
Pairs of steelyards and stilyards appear abundantly in the inventories.
Shillard is at one extreme of acceptable spelling variation. of course
there is a degree of interpretation but that applies to reading all old
documents, identifying pottery etc. Recently I proved two medieval
documents attributed to Anstey places in Leicestershire and Warwickshire
were really Hampshire and my local record office had mistranslated the
earl's oven as the earl's fort in a thirteenth century deed. A famous
Welsh historian editing a Bristol cartlulary identified an English-
named possession as being in Devon - it obviously never occurred to him
it might be in the English colonised area of South Wales only a short
distance away - nearly gave me a heart attack as it would have
undermined a major thesis of mine about the 12th century frontier.Then
there is an entire book chapter by amateur archaeologist based on the
misreading of a street -name and the more well known archaeologist who
mistranslated uln' as elm not ell- a measurement of cloth so a reference
about repairing windmill sails became a windmill being rebuilt with elm
trees in another book. However, if we retreat into total scepticism we
would never translate any document or write anything. The great thing is
there are loads of well known documents read by famous historians which
can still be re-interpreted.

paul