HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lauren Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 18:23:48 -0400
I have excavated burials in brick crypts (which is to say brick boxes built
into the ground and sealed with flat stones held in place with mortar) from
the 1870s that were very well preserved.  The vaults that people are
describing here are a more efficiently manufactured version of that.

A few years back, I did a project at a veterans' cemetery, and got to watch
them construct burial areas using vaults.  They excavated away the dirt, put
down gravel for drainage, leveled it out, and laid the vaults on it, in a
solid field, cheek by jowl, no room between them.  Then they laid the lids
on.  The engineer told me that when they were done, they would simply roll
out sod over the top.  Instant lawn. To inter, they just roll back the sod,
and take off the lid.  Apparently the marker attaches to the lid.  Each
vault is deep enough for two coffins, one on top of the other; vet and
spouse.  It was enough to make you pine for the old days.

Lauren J. Cook, RPA
Senior Archaeologist
Richard Grubb & Associates, Inc.
30 North Main Street