HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Babson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jun 2005 21:52:12 -0400
Apropos nothing, or not much--one of the things I've always thought was
"neat" (nice archaeological term, that) about the Gettysburg National
Battlefield is that its preservation, which began within a few years of
the 1863 battle, has also preserved a small mid-19th century rural
landscape, and the farmstead sites that were components of that
landscape.  Of course, the battle itself and its commemoration are
impacts on this landscape, with probably local degrees of severity
(entrenchments, burials and monument foundations vs. the odd minne ball
impact).  Preservation of this area is probably more archaeological than
as a landscape, since strolling the battle lines and contemplating great
themes of life, death, conflict and history, the purpose it now serves,
as a memorial park, was NOT a usual activity in a 19th century rural
landscape.  But, inadvertent preservation, however partial, is
preservation none the less.

Gettysburg as an example, of course--other Civil War battlefield parks,
and monuments from other wars (Breed's Hill?  Sackets's Harbor?  Fort
Griswold?) might also perform such a function, to the extent that they
had a pre-war landscape or archaeological components to preserve, and
that preservation of the battlefield was begun soon after the battle,
before a post-war occupation could begin--unless, of course, that
post-war occupation itself might have some interest today, and also have
been preserved inadvertently through memorialization.  I can see some
archaeologist in 2505 recording a section of concrete work from the wall
of a Hudson and Manhattan Railroad/PATH tube, uncovered during
maintenance work on the WTC Memorial.

D. Babson.