HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Iain Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 09:00:04 +1000
I am not sure how a universal functional categories would work, although
comparisons between collections would obviously facilitated if such a set
were developed and everyone agreed on them and everyone understood what each
category meant so that a random sample of archaeologists across North
America would all categorise an artefact in the same way. I imagine it would
be a sort of Munsell Book of Colour but with 5000 more pages.

But what happened when accepted break down - I have published an example of
a beer bottle that was recycled as a Jam Jar. Do you count 1 beer bottle or
1 jam jar and in any case the point of interest in the transition between
the two artefacts. I am sure there are numerous other examples.

There is a very interesting article of the role of artefact catalogues in
Australian historical archaeology by Crook, Lawrence and Gibbs (Australasian
Historical Archaeology 20:26-38, 2002) which indicates how this problem has
been approached (not solved) in Australia.

yours

Iain Stuart