HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:18:31 +1100
To be honest, I have no idea if Noel Hume's been knighted or not - I was writing
hypothetically & responding to the original poster's "Sir Noel Hume", which I
might have taken out of context.  Sorry if that wasn't clear. I think he's been
made an OBE or some such relatively recently - perhaps that's the source of
confusion - but OBEs and MBEs don't carry 'Sir' as a title.

Since I get the digest version of the list, I have a feeling that this'll have
been addressed by someone else by the time this reaches everyone.

Ron May also correctly raises the issue that not everyone is granted, or has the
right to take, the title 'Sir' even if knighted.  For example, Bob Geldof, while
knighted, isn't "Sir Robert" because he's a citizen of the Republic of Ireland.

And Iain, I'm still in Australia (despite the e-mail address), based at La Trobe
again, and I have no idea what the correct address for an AM or OAM is.

Alasdair Brooks

[log in to unmask] Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 14:47:16 -0400
From: David Babson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: How to address a knight (was: Ivor Noel Hume)
~~~~
News to me that Noel-Hume was knighted. Perhaps I have been too buried
in dissertation, etc. lately. When was he knighted?

D. Babson.