HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 18:38:18 +1100
This is a comparatively minor point in the grand scheme of things, but...

When addressing a knight/dame formally, the person's given name follows the
title, not the surname.

So technically one would refer to "Sir Ivor", or "Sir Ivor Noel Hume", but
_never_ "Sir Noel Hume" (similarly "Dame Judi", not "Dame Dench")

It's only if someone has a title (whether life or hereditary peerage) that the
title goes in front of the surname.  So you could have - hypothetically - Lord
Noel Hume of Martin's Hundred.

Not that I expect anyone to lose any sleep over this...

Alasdair Brooks