HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:27:21 -0500
On Mar 30, 2005, at 6:54 PM, Linda and Doug wrote:

> Does anyone have a reference on diagnostic features of historic lead
> sinkers (line weights)?  We recovered a split-barrel lead sinker in the
> upper 10cm along a river terrace in southeast Idaho.  Modern debris as
> well as debitage were found in the same level.  The sinker has flanges
> or pins at the ends of the barrel that fold over the split seam to
> secure the fishing line.  It measures 1-13/16 inches long and is 5/16
> inches in diameter.  Thanks in advance for any help.

They were definitely standard for the 1950's and 1960's. The ears
allowed them to be loosened and slid along the line as necessary
without the hassle of having to deal with prying the barrel open with a
pocket knife and risk cutting the line. If I remember correctly, older
ones had a distinct belly with a marked taper at both ends while the
later one had a much more steamlined shape. The rounder the weight, the
easier it was caught on obstructions on the bottom.

Lyle Browning