HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:26:45 -0500
This reference is from memory of quickly reading through the newspaper
archives at the West Point Foundry School Museum, where they were
available next to the study commissioned by Brill and Associates, Inc.
I think written by Edward Rutsch, et al. That study was divided into
Pre-Classic, Classic and Post Classic divisions of history of the West
Point Foundry. There is also a large unlabeled aerial "oblique"
photograph from about 1920's that shows a large "crater" on the east
side of the stone dike that once connected Constitution Island with
the West Point Foundry, which I sometimes think, given the clandestine
nature of ironworks as reported in the study, may have been a
"workers" housing area, or other ancillary facilities. One old map a
researcher found had a small iron mine over there too, predating
perhaps recorded US government interest. I have a blog citation about
the West Point Foundry EPA remediation here: March 5, 2005: "NIKE
batteries (not included) and rifled "musket" cannons"
http://georgejmyersjr.blogspot.com/ which has a good USGS high
altitude photograph showing the earthen dam built to haul the marsh
out on railroad cars.