HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:05:29 -0500
To continue in the archaeology of aviation theme, I might present an
example of a historic preservation example. I was reading the "Blacks
Harbour Historical Society" on-line, a former "factory" town (canning
fish) and where ferries leave for North Head on Grand Manan Island,
N.B. Canada (a little over two hours away). Not too far from Blacks
Harbour, is the town of Pennfield, which served as a WWII airfield. In
the course of its occupation, abandoned mostly today, some servicemen
from around the Commonwealth passed on and were buried there. These
types of cemeteries should be looked after as relations from around
the world do come and visit the gravesides. I doubt many public
airports (or private) would appear to have this "feature" but perhaps
some have from former times. I have visited a few small grass field
runways in New Hampshire that have recent small plots next to them of
former aviators or its supporters.

George Myers