HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
paul courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:36:48 +0000
Michiel

I just acquired BRABOM  5 a few weeks back and had a look at the paper
but no I don't remember seeing anything like them from England or
elsewhere. However, I can't find my Norwich finds volume at the moment
(probably lost under a pile of weighty monographs) which would be a good
place to look due to the number of Dutch immmigrants. I will also ask
Geoff Egan re the London finds. I know cast sugar pieces were used in
English banquets to decorate a marchpane or disk of almond paste.

paul

Bartels & Mol wrote:

Dear Paul,

I was wondering if among the English and Colonial finds you may have white
pipe clay decorations for baking on top of luxury bread. We find them from
the 16th c onwards up to the 19th c. They come in sizes from 2-15 cm
diameter and are usually very flat. The general name in Holland and
Flanders
is PATACON. The items on it are William III (hero of the Protestants), Adam
& Eve, St. Martin, baby, sea animals... etc etc.
The best publication up to now has been written by the Archaeological
Service of Antwerpen: they publishes 298 white clay  figures among which
many patacons.
Publication: Geyskens, Leo  (2002), Beelden en plaketten uit pijpaarde te
Antwerpen, in: Berichten en Rapporten over het Antwerps Bodemonderzoek en
Monumentenzorg (BRABOM) 5, 9-114.

Many regards,

Michiel