HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 11:05:15 -0600
Deborah,

This may seem to be a bit on the margins of what you are interested in, but
maybe not:

I did my MA thesis at William and Mary (early 80s) by applying
archaeological theories about stylistic drift to 20th century "Pin-up Art."
I developed a "huskiness ratio," pulled out my calipers,  and measured
thousands of legs in thousands of pieces of pin-up art.  One of my findings
was  that when American women made their major breaks with the domestic
sphere (right to vote, equal opportunity rights in the workplace ) that
there were accompanying jolts to the gradual rounding or "plumping" of the
idealized female form.  Picture a "well-rounded" Marilyn Monroe then Twiggy
or a flat chested flapper. You might say that when the traditional male
sphere became threatened, they responded by making their ideal woman,
smaller, thinner, less rounded, and more adolescent in body form)

I mention this only because these images decorated  many aspects of material
culture (calendars to match book covers to industrial sized cans) - almost
entirely in a male sphere, and were definitely linked to "patriotism" (per
your mention of Cowan) via airplane nose art, wall art in recruitment
centers, leather jackets, etc.  They even used Betty Gable's posterior for
target practice!

It's a bit goofy, but something to think about.

Linda Derry
Site Director
Old Cahawba Archaeological Site
719 Tremont Street