HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 20:52:31 -0700
Hmm...I never saw this original message either (besides the dead cats in
the walls one).

In case the person who posed the question doesnt have the reference Dan
mentioned...here is some info online (I never can restrain myself from
searching) for EGW (1836-1896).

http://www.hopefarm.com/ulster1.htm
"This company was organized in 1836 by a group of glass makers from
Coventry and Willington, Connecticut, headed by Jasper Gilbert."

That's just the first sentence of the large paragraph....if it's accurate
info. ??

And here's an article on the cargo recovered from the buried/sunk (?) Civil
War-era  Maple Leaf (ship)...including an Ellenville Glass Works
bottle...with the contents still
inside.   http://mapleleafshipwreck.com/Book/Chapter9/chapter9.htm

And from a bottle-diggers website...a mention of EGW cylinder
whiskies...from privy & cistern digging in
Brooklyn.  http://www.glswrk-auction.com/006.htm

And finally...there's this from an EIS:
"In upstate New York, the Ellenville Glass Works, which operated between
1837 and 1894, was excavated in the early 1980s by Dumont Archaeological
Surveys...."
"Archeological excavations uncovered subsurface air ducts for the furnaces,
foundation walls, numerous glass flasks, and fragments of bottles and canes
(Dumont 1980b:109). The site represents one of the few controlled
excavations of a mid-to-late 19th-century glasshouse."
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/hyards/hy_app_k_t2.pdf   (page 55)

Might be of interest to get this Dumont excavation report. ??

That's all....I'm going home...