HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"William B. Lees, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 08:30:09 -0400
Tidal mills were used extensively in the South Carolina tidewater
in the late 18th and early 20th century until at least partially
replaced with steam mills.  Rather than erecting a dam across the
stream, the rice fields after harvest were used as mill ponds,
filled when the tide comes in, and then released at low tide to
power the mills.

William B. Lees, Ph.D., RPA
Vice President, Business Development and Special Projects
CULTURAL RESOURCE ANALYSTS, INC.
151 Walton Avenue
Lexington, KY  40508
Voice: (859) 252-4737