HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 17:02:18 -0400
I think Alasdair is making a sweeping generalisation regarding the analysis
of bottles.     The Australian historical archaeologists that I have had the
privilege to work and the site reports I have read all use technomorphology as a
key component of bottle identification.  For glass bottles, the comprehensive
work of Boow has for years provided Australian archaeologists with the basic
framework on manufacturing techniques.  Researchers such as Martin Carney and
Jean Smith have repeatedly contributed in the grey literature.  And we
anxiously await the publication of Martin's book on the subject.