HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Marsha King <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:07:32 -0500

email -   [log in to unmask]

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kris
Courtney
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 1:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Cigareetes and Whiskey and Wild, Wild Women......

Ron,

in answer to your question about Lilly Langtree, I
have no idea if she smoked, what she smoked  (nor, for
that matter whether she inhaled or not!) Would anyone
else perhaps be able to enlighten us on this issue?

The reason I mentioned Lola Montez in the context of
Quality Whiskey and Cigars was because she was
notorious among other things for smoking cigars, and
for taking to the editor of the Ballaarat Times with a
horse-whip after he published a bad review of her
(quite a good precedent too, when you think about it).

BTW for those interested, the title of this email is
the title of an old (?Irish) drinking song with
'cigareetes' spelt [or at least pronounced] as written
- it's not a typo. (What is it with the Irish and
their extra 'e's?). I am seeking the rest of the
lyrics. I have one (very rousing as you might imagine)
verse and chorus only, so if anyone has the rest of
the lyrics, has ever heard of the song or has a date
for it, I would be delighted to hear from you.

Kris

http://au.movies.yahoo.com