HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dan Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:53:23 -0500
Hello to the List:)

Can anyone on the list point me toward some published (or grey literature)
examples of electromagnetic induction surveys of inland river channels.  To
be specific, our association has been asked to conduct an EMI survey of
about one kilometer of river channel for the purpose of identifying targets
that have the  potential to be Civil War era artillery pieces thrown in the
river by retreating Confederates.  Locally, the only similar survey is a
scan of a portion of the Tennessee River for gunboats and transports,
targets much larger than ours. Has this type project been done elsewhere?

Dan Allen
Graduate Research Assistant
The Center for Historic Preservation at
Middle Tennessee State University