HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 07:51:04 -0700
Some worms and viruses raid and spoof "innocent" email addresses even if the
computers being raided/spoofed aren't infected. I use constantly updated
virus protection software, and sweep often besides, and still get "hey you
sent a virus" messages replying to messages I didn't send in the first
place, and wormy/virusy messages from other addresses which are also
"clean". These viruses and worms trawl the Internet and pick up email
addresses from multiple-person distribution lists, web sites, and other
sources. If you are "out there", net-wise (if you get group emails, or have
your email address on a web site, or whatever), you won't be able to avoid
this stuff. But it doesn't necessarily mean that your computer has the
virus/worm. Though Paul's right -- an extra sweep never hurts!

carol

Carol McDavid, Ph.D. (Cantab)
1638 Branard, Houston, Texas, 77006, USA
(713) 523-2649
www.webarchaeology.com