HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Thad Van Bueren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:53:35 +0000
Mark,
Mary Maniery has worked on Asian migrant worker sites on islands in the
California Delta region and she and Julia Costello did work at Walnut Grove too
(also in the Delta). Both would be worth checking out.

I recorded a Japanese migrant farm labor camp on Otay Mesa in far southern San
Diego, but no excavation was conducted there. Ethnographic work for that camp
offered a poignant account of internment during WWII, in addition to
information on some traditional elements such as a bath house present at the
camp. Contact me off list if that has any interest to you.

Judy Tordoff has also studied a Depresssion-era relocation camp (Dust Bowl
migrants) near Weedpatch in Fresno County. This may be slightly tangential to
your interest, but who knows.
Thad Van Bueren
(510) 286-6230