HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Vergil E. Noble" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:14:40 -0500
Thanks for the alert, Anna. A letter in response might be more effective
coming from one of many past presidents of SHA in the DC-Maryland area.

A privy diving case here in Lincoln, Nebr, got national attention a couple
years ago. The person was digging illicitly on "quasi-public" land
(university property) and ended up in court (the police found him when he
foolishly posted his finds up on his own website). A Wall Street Journal
reporter got interested in the subject and was developing an expose' on
bottle digging for fun and profit, but I don't think it ever came to
fruition. She interviewed me by email when I was SHA president, but I never
saw an article published.

Vergil Noble

                      "Agbe-Davies,
                      Anna"                    To:       [log in to unmask]
                      <AAgbe-Davies@CWF        cc:       (bcc: Vergil Noble/MWAC/NPS)
                      .ORG>                    Subject:  enthusiasm for the past run amok
                      Sent by:
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

                      07/12/04 01:00 PM
                      AST
                      Please respond to
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

Greetings, HISTARCH-ers,

Did anyone else see this sidebar in Sunday's Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37904-2004Jul8.html

And is anyone better situated than I to respond, particularly on the
legality of what this gentleman is advocating on "quasi-public land"?

Happy Monday....

Anna

Anna Agbe-Davies