HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:13:47 -0400
Sorry, the "blown up" dam was much closer to Canada now I remember. The idea
is to reintroduce the Atlantic salmon to the rivers and many of the rivers
are having the dams removed in the Northeast, even after putting in
expensive "fish ladders" in some cases, which however didn't work. A former
Secretary of the Interior I remember, worked with a private group to even
pay the Greenlanders a six digit sum to not fish the younger salmon, thought
to migrate from there, back ten years ago or so to see if that would bring
the Atlantic salmon back to the rivers in the U.S. The ones in Canadian
Maritime rivers are a big source of income. bringing sport-fishing
enthusiasts into the Province(s?) I remember reading.

George Myers