HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:30:53 -0400
Was the Edwards Dam the one the US Air Force blew up? I know they did
perhaps, talking in a grandmananisland Yahoo group it was from further
Downeast.

By the way the reason for excavating in the down stream side of the earthen
"Coopers Dam" was that a water powered chair factory was there. Today, at
least somewhat after that, there are still traditional furniture makers
there and I had an old friend's rocker "rethatched" with that woven pattern,
I think of flax. There was a large cache of "patent medicine" bottles there
too, though the structural remains were gone and I don't think anyone actual
cross-section the earthen dam, as Edward Rutsch reported for a dam he found
in a survey out in the woods in Mexico, NY its other impounding features
gone, perhaps in a "freshet" or flood. Or the course of its supply was
rerouted, maybe by the mammal on the NY State flag, the beaver.

George Myers