HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 21:58:42 -0400
Scrumpy, maybe something like that's what they were selling in Montreal,
Quebec. I arrived on train and one could not go to a pub with a stand-up
with a woman years ago (30 or so) so one had to take one's friend to a
restaurant where, lo and behold, they served dulse as an appetizer on the
table. That is, a sun-dried edible purple seaweed, a one-shot job one summer
of fog in 1967 I had on Grand Manan Island, NB.

Dulse, it's picked at certain lunar tides and spread on nets and rocks, we
at "Indian Beach" on ostrich egg-sized cobbles, turned over and sold at the
local buyer for, then, about $1 (CND) a pound. Now it's sold in shakers and
plastic bags which came out a few years after that and I even saw an
experiment to grow it in North Head there, instead of risking life and limb
scrambling over slippery rocks and hauling burlap bags of wet seaweed by
dory.

I read somewhere one of the oldest maps in Scotland are of dulse picking
territories, sort of like old oyster beds I've seen on maps of Long Island,
New York. On one site in NYC we had someone from Mobil Co. I think that was
in the bag development field looking at some of the problems of bag storage
down in the South Street Seaport.

Do they serve dulse in York? Sure will make you thirsty...

George Myers