HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Regina George <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 16:25:19 -0700
In the early 1990's, Holman and Associates excavated a mass burial ground
associated (I believe) with a county hospital in San Francisco.  From what
I have heard, the bodies were laid out in rows like you are finding,
though many apparently had coffins.  There was also an area where
"hospital waste" was disposed of, so you might be on the lookout for
disassociated legs and such from amputations.  Preservation was
phenomenal.  I'm not sure of the exact time period it dated from, but
Holman and Associates can probably give you more information.

Regina George
Anthropological Studies Center