HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"David L. Browman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:24:04 -0600
It was actually Phil Phiillips, not Willey, who first said the archaeology
is anthropology, etc.

Taylor in fact, if you read him closely, would not have agreed with that
at all.  And I'm not sure that Binford and others would agree that it was
Taylor who set them on their way, that he was their godfather, as Ed
suggests.  Taylor by not being afraid to take potshots at the
establishment, certainly set up a model of Binford, but the actual essence
of Taylor is not carried.

Actually this short discussion makes it clear that even among the
middle=aged group, no one reads anything published over 20 years ago.  I
hear my colleagues bemoaning the fact that all the young guys coming into
archaeology never read anything published more than 20 years ago, because
they think all good scholarship, of course, is only in the last two
decades.

In this case, I see no one reads Taylor anymore either.

Dave Browman