HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"E. B. Jelks" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 2004 10:33:32 -0600
As I recall, the 1958 Willey and Phillips statement was: "Archaeology as
taught in American universities is anthropology or it is nothing."  (I
donated my library, including W&P, to my university upon retiring many years
ago, and I am not going to the library to look up the exact quotation.)
W&P, I believe, cited someone named Maitland as the originator of this
notion.  Who Maitland is or was I have no idea.  Maybe someone with a copy
of W&P will look up the actual wording and will track down the Maitland
paper and thus document the origin of this dictum which, with the phrase
about universities omitted, became the mantra of the "New Archaeology"
movement.

Jim Deetz, incidentally, gave a keynote address at an annual meeting of the
SAA about 20 years ago in which he made the point that the nuts-and-bolts
phase of archaeological research--i.e., exposing and observing physical
elements of the archaeological record in the field, and drawing direct
inferences about the human activities that created those elements--was
sufficiently different from the ultimate objective of formulating
explanatory models of cultural processes to warrant being assigned a
different name from the latter.  He suggested calling the nuts-and-bolts
phase "archaeography" and the model-building phase "archaeology".  This, of
course, would be comparable to "ethnography" and "ethnology" in cultural
anthropology.  If any American archaeologists have adopted these terms I am
not aware of it.  Lewis Binford has been working for years, with indifferent
success, on developing a "middle-range" theory to bridge the gap between
"archaeography" and "archaeology".

ebj