HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 2003 08:29:49 -0500
In a message dated 12/28/2003 7:54:40 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:
Scanning artifacts, as others have noted, is an efficient way to
illustrate in a hurry, with more than satisfactory results.

A little experimentation with backgrounds will help; the scanner lid
may not be the best surface to shoot against. I've found that a piece
of black material helps distinguish light-colored artifacts from the
grey background my scanner produces from its lid.
I have tried printing a grid on colored paper for background and scale, and
taping the whole thing to the scanner lid. A spacer on either side keeps the
lid from touching most artifacts. Depth of  field is about an inch. You can also
scan with the lid up, then post process the light levels to give you a black
background (in Photoshop go to Image/adjust/levels, slide the bar on the left
to the right).

I couldn't agree more with Ned's ideas about report illustration. It is
wonderful, for instance, after years of trying to explain the difference between
the early polychrome pearlware color palette and the later one, to be able to
throw in a color photo right where it's needed. And speaking of color, if you
have a non-profit or educational affilliation and think you can print about 2500
pages a month you can get a really nice solid ink 1200 dpi color printer from
Xerox for FREE. I've had mine for a couple of years now, and I'm very happy
with it. Print cost is about seven cents a page, with a typical mix of full
color and text. I use it for all of my reports and newsletters. Contact me off
list for more info...

Carl Steen
The Diachronic Research Foundation Inc.
PO Box 50394