HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"George L. Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 14:45:07 -0500
      Carol Serr and others may have missed the reference that Allen
Vegotsky made to the Owens tooth brush bottle.  Clearly, the bottles were
not packaging for selling tooth brushes, but made to use as a traveling
case for a person's toothbrush.  That is what in meant by " . . . from a
gentlemans toilet set."

      Carol asked if Allen had anyone had a specific reference to these
containers or if he had just seen in it in a museum.  Allan has made an
exhaustive inventory of "Dr. Hatchett's Drug Store Museum" that was
published on a CD by the Stewart County Historical Commission which is
available for a very low cost of $12.00 from the Commission at

Stewart County Historical Commission
P.O. Box 818,
Lumpkin, Georgia 31815

      Allen's inventory is very searchable and a great resource.
Information has been posted on this earlier on HISTARCH and I highly
recommend it as a valuable addition to anyone's library for information on
bottles, patent medicines, and other things related to drug stores.

       I have seen a magazine advertisement for the Owens tooth brush older
from the 1920s if memory serves me correctly.  I also have one of these
tooth brush holders in my collection that has a paper label that reads:

      "Hang up your tooth Brush for airing and drying.  Use this container
for traveling etc."

Peace,
George L. Miller
URS Corporation