HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 06:49:05 -0500
At 10:08 AM -0800 10/31/03, Robert Leavitt wrote:
>Does anyone have a source/method for migrating digital photos to
>black and white film?

For several years, we have been using PhotWorks, formerly Seattle
Filmworks, for our processing of field pictures. We get disks, slides
and our processed film, no prints. Getting slides from color print
film seems extravagant, but the Delaware repository will accept
slides that never have been projected.  It's a way around the
requirement for lots of black and white negatives. The state will
also accept black-and-white prints from color negatives, which a
local studio will produce for a price.

Then we fill up our reports with lots of digital prints off the
disks, and nobody has screamed yet. So if you can get the Powers That
Be to accept laser printed black and white prints, you're in business.

I fully agree with Lyle and the others about migrating your digital
data upward. In my closet is a Commodore 64 that may or may not be
able to read some of the big floppies. Important stuff was
transferred by wire to the first 512 Mac when it arrived in 1984.
Also in the closet is a Mac Classic, which can read the early Mac
floppies and produce Zip disks that the G5 can read. The G5 can read
floppies, but only the two latest generations.

Now I understand that Windows no longer supports Zip disks, but never
fear, the Mac can read Windows Zips.
--

A sure sign you're over the hill is when you catch yourself referring
to your "dress" Birkenstocks!