From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 00:11:04 -0600
"Philip Peters" <[log in to unmask] quoth:

>The book by Vikram Seth sort of describe the functioning of a string
>quartet in credible terms but as a novel it's actually quite bad IMO (as
>was his earlier one in which Indian music plays a role). If you wish to
>read good literature I wouldn't try Mr.Seth's works.

What is it that makes it bad literature?  He tells a credible story
about a musician that is very well researched.  He develops his characters
well, gives them interesting, realistic and real-life personalities,
and his hero is as believable as they come.  He not only "describe" the
functioning of a string quartet, he gives quite an insight into the
workings around personality types and repertoire decisions and rehearsal
techniques.  This is pretty good literary craftsmanship if you ask me.

Kevin Sutton