From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:43:32 -0700
Dave writes:

>I'd say much, much less than 10%.  More like 1% or less.  In any case,
>the SACD format won't be taking off until new releases in rock/pop/country
>are coming out regularly on SACD, and that doesn't look to happen any
>time soon.  Until then, and perhaps now for many years to come, SACD
>(and its cousin DVD-Audio) will likely remain a niche product.

Does niche = death though?  (Not that you're suggesting that.)

One could argue the Chandos and Hyperion are niche products, or that
Classical music is a niche product, and yet they and their genres hang
on.  If SACD has taken off anywhere, it seems to be in the Classical
market, going by the acceleration of offerings by companies; and the
high/mid-fi market, going by the availablity of players.  If it remains
a niche market, that's OK with me.

Just finished the Berlioz Requiem--a revelation to say the least!  The
choirs, percussion, orchestra, and of course, the off-stage brass are
layered beautifully.  You can actually feel the air-pressure of the large
hall.  Wow.  More to come.

If anyone out there has a decent surround system for their home theater,
*do* pick up a machine.  It's really fun *and* serves the music.  With
800 classical titles available so far, that's almost 3 a day to listen
to for a year, ha ha.

John Smyth
Sac, CA