From:
Christine Labroche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:07:23 +0200
Karl Miller:

>And speaking of Preludes for orchestra, (I will give a hint with this
>one), what French composer, noted for writing one of the most familiar
>of all themes used for a television program, also wrote a set of Preludes
>for Orchestra?  (no orchestra tuning in this piece...just some brilliant
>music...a work premiered by Bernstein...a piece that sounds like bits
>and pieces of Sacre)

Would that be Marius Constant?

We lost Marius Constant just recently, as you know, and it was a great
sorrow. He did a lot for music in France and in particular was the
co-founder of the French classical music programme 'France-Musique'.

It is difficult to find recordings of much of his music, unfortunately,
but a particular favourite of mine is his violin concert "Cent-trois
regards dans l'eau" - a hundred and three looks into the water.
Structurally he does exactly that and it's fascinating.

Sorry if you weren't thinking of Constant and his 24 Preludes (premiered
by Bernstein coincidentally then) - but I am pleased to have found the
opportunity of mentioning him...

Christine Labroche