HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Greg Jackman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:42:37 +1100
Dear noble scratchers,

Sounds alarmingly familiar - this is a global issue of course.  The Practice
note on archaeology issued by the Tasmanian Heritage Council (archaeological
significance) states "To merely confirm information available through
documentary evidence is not adequate demonstration of the project
relevance."  This scrambled piece of nonsense is actually UNDERLINED in the
document.  Basically it means that the THC can veto archaeological
involvement in development projects on sites where any historical
information exists, irrespective of how general.  This is what happens when
archaeological policy is written by architects and town planners.

Rise up in anger!

Greg Jackman
Port Arthur Historic Site Management Authority